JACKSONVILLE’S CAR-FREE WEEK
DUMP THE GAS PUMP AND GO CAR-FREE!
A personal motorized vehicle can be a costly dependence, both for our wallets and our environment. For one week in Bike Month, May 15 – 19, the Jacksonville BPAC is encouraging you to try other options — for just one day, or all week. Then join us that Friday, May 19, from 6:00pm-8:00pm, for our Awards Ceremony!
WALK TO WORK
Since every trip by car, by transit, or even by bike starts and ends with walking, it’s easy to walk to work. Drivers can switch to transit, or carpool and park away from their place of work. Bus/skyway riders can simply get off 1 or 2 stops earlier. For those who have to drop off children at school, just park your car away from your place of work in a secure area after you drop of your children, and walk from there.
RUN TO WORK
Morning runs before you get to work will ensure you arrive at the office feeling awake and ready to start the day off right. And if you choose to run-commute home, it’s an opportunity to clear your mind after a hard day. For those who have to drop off children at school, just park your car away from your place of work in a secure area after you drop of your children, and run from there. For tips on running to work, visit runwork.net.
BIKE TO WORK
National Bike to Work Day is Friday, May 19, but why not bike to work all week during Car-Free Week? The purpose of Bike to Work Day is to have higher numbers of bicyclists in regular clothing out and visible to motorists who are also trying to get to work. Bicyclists wearing regular clothing sends a message — “Yes, you, too, can go to work by bicycle!”. For those who have to drop off children at school, just bring your bike with you when driving, park your car away from your place of work in a secure area after you drop of your children, and bike from there. For tips, visit jaxbikecoalition.org/2017/04/02/national-bike-to-work-day-2017.
SKYWAY TO WORK
The skyway is faster than driving through downtown, it’s usually not crowded, and it’s free! We’re currently seeking permission for bikes on the skyway during Car-Free Week, so stay tuned. For stops and schedules, visit jtafla.com/schedules.
BUS TO WORK
Riding the bus is common place for most people living in large, metropolitan cities. It’s cheap and you can chill out on the way to work — no fighting traffic, catch up on your reading, or even take a nap. And in Jacksonville, the bus system is better than ever! For stops and schedules, visit schedules.jtafla.com.
Friday, May 19
Intuition Ale Works
PERK #1 — Intuition Ale Works will be offering $1 OFF BEERS at the May 19 Ceremony AND all week — May 15-19 — to all participants who posted “commute selfies” on social media using the hashtag #CarFreeWeekJax. AND Dahlia’s Pour House and Magnolia’s Pub will ALSO be offering $1 off beers during Car-Free Week! You must show the bartenders your photos/videos to get the discount.
PERK #2 — The MOST IMPRESSIVE COMMUTERS are eligible to win prizes! Examples of impressive commuting:
- Participated multiple days during Car-Free Week
- Longest distance running to work
- Longest distance walking to work
- Longest distance biking to work
- Longest distance taking the bus to work
- Most diverse transit user (used the bus, and walked, and biked, etc. to work)
- Most enthusiastic (posted the most social media photos about their active transit to work)
Those who are known in the community to commute to work using active transportation nearly EVERYDAY, ALL YEAR, will be announced and cheered!
In order to be eligible to win prizes, you must fill out the survey, tinyurl.com/CarFreeWeekJax, and post “commute selfies” using the hashtag #CarFreeWeekJax. Prizes are limited. SURVEY WILL CLOSE BY 4:00PM MAY 19. If you’re commuting from work after 4:00pm that day, you may estimate the mileage of the final stretch of your commute on the survey before it closes.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- Decide which car-free option is best for you — or choose several options
- Decide which day of the week is best for you — or choose the whole week
- Take a photo or video of yourself on your commute and post it to social media using the hashtag #CarFreeWeekJax
- Take a quick survey sometime before May 19, 4:00pm, tinyurl.com/CarFreeWeekJax, to provide more details about yourself — SURVEY WILL CLOSE BY 4:00PM MAY 19. If you’re commuting from work after 4:00pm that day, you may estimate the mileage of the final stretch of your commute on the survey before it closes.
- Attend the Closing Awards Ceremony at Intuition Ale Works on Friday, May 19, 6:00pm-8:00pm. Don’t forget to invite your entourage to cheer you on in case you win!
Find other participants and let others know that you’ll be participating for CAR-FREE WEEK:
RSVP to the AWARDS CEREMONY:
Come out and meet like-minded people for a night of camaraderie and recognition for a job well done! Contact us with questions or learn more about us at facebook.com/bpacfriends.
CAR-FREE WEEK EVENT SPONSORS
A very special thank you to all of our sponsors for their dedication to our community, donating countless hours of time and generous monetary contributions for the cause:
…(more to come)…